There is going to be an event in Edinburgh, focusing on the Secondary Curriculum.
Keynote Speaker: Moira Thomson MBE and Assistive Technology by Iansyst Ltd, Edinburgh
Thursday 31st May 9.30a.m to 2.00pm
Venue – Edinburgh Zoo Conference Room
A key CPD seminar designed to help teachers develop a ‘core knowledge’ of dyslexia characteristics and their impact on learning – to help them adjust classroom practice to support individual learners and develop effective solutions.
The seminar will consist of two key presentations:
- Supporting Students with Dyslexia in the secondary curriculum:
- Dyslexia explained and how the characteristics may manifest in the classroom as barriers to learning
- How to identify them and meet the needs of individual dyslexic learners
- The approaches to develop effective reasonable adjustments that can minimise/remove those barriers (this will include access arrangements for exams).
2. Assistive Technology Presentation and Resources:
- Providing teachers with a good introduction to the range of assistive technology software available to support dyslexic learners including text-to-speech, speech recognition, mind-mapping and note-taking solutions
- Product presentations and supporting notes that make the connection between matching the appropriate AT solution with the needs of the learner.
A delegate pack of resources and a Certificate of Attendance will also be provided on the day. A free copy of one of the 25 titles in the series the ‘Supporting Dyslexic Learners in the Secondary Curriculum’ by Moira Thomson MBE, will also be included. (Available for either the English or Scottish curriculum).
About the Keynote Speaker:
Moira Thomson MBE. Iansyst ltd is pleased to be working with Moira whose career includes many years as an experienced teacher and development officer who managed a Support for Learning team in a large Edinburgh secondary school. Moira has previously been chair of Dyslexia Scotland South East providing advice and support for children and young people with dyslexia. Moira is a member of a team appointed by Scottish Government Ministers to be independent adjudicators for Additional Support Needs dispute resolution. As an educational consultant and assessor, Moira is an experienced CPD provider with a focus on dyslexia.
The Iansyst Team:
Iansyst Ltd has been established for 35 years as a leading dyslexia solutions and assistive technology supplier. Iansyst also has a dedicated office and Scottish team based in Edinburgh providing AT software and computer solutions with full help-desk support, on-site product training and a range of consultancy services for disability awareness and accessibility. Visit our ecommerce website www.dyslexic.com
Preview the latest Assistive Technology:
Iansyst ltd presents the very best AT software and hardware suppliers. At the seminar delegates will be able to try out a range of products to include: Scanning Pens, MindView, Kaz Typing Tutor software, No Isolation Avatar, Literacy Software, Hard of Hearing Devices.
9.30 Coffee on arrival. An opportunity to meet the team and preview the AT products
10.00 Welcome and Introductions. Janine King Managing Director Iansyst Ltd
10.10 Supporting Dyslexic Learners in the Secondary Curriculum. Moira Thomson MBE
11.50 Opportunity for questions and discussion
12.00 Lunch & exhibition
12.30 An introduction to the types of Assistive Technology available. Product presentations to include:
Making information accessible through:
- Scanning devices, Scanning Pens and the Exam Pen
- Dragon Speech Recognition
- Supporting literacy, reading & spelling with Text-to-Speech Software
- Organising ideas and planning using Mind Mapping approaches by MindView
- New to the UK, the ‘No Isolation’ Avatar robot enabling learners at home to be able to participate in the classroom in real time.
1.45 Plenary Session
Edinburgh Zoo will provide free passes for all delegates that attend. Delegates are welcome to visit the Zoo (and the Penguins Parade which starts at 2.15pm).